Friday, June 13, 2014

A silent year later

My 3D printing workshop is alive and working, well almost!

An apology for my absence

I've been quite busy and lazy to update the blog, my last entry was over a year ago, which I admit is pretty bad. I will get to why on a later point, but I will first take the time to address to those who deserve it the most:

Over the past year of my absent, my inbox has received numerous emails from people wondering exactly what happened to PROJECT CORVO. Inquires go from simple hi to questions about commissions and selling the 3D files. I guess this is what happens when someone build a hype. I remember I was in the same shoe and felt quite hyped myself when I heard about the 3D printed mask for the first time. So hyped that I bought my own printer and spendt weeks modelling the mask.

First of all sorry to disappoint , not much progress has been made on the corvo mask, none at all in fact. This is due to the project being pushed back by other projects! When will I start? Around next year if at all. My own hype died but I still want to do it someday, but not just at the moment. Sorry about that!

Level up!

For the good news; despite the lack of a 3D printed mask. My Makergear M2 model has gone through some extensive printing since my last update. I guess about 4-5 rolls/kg of PLA filament have been burned up. It's not a high number for a year, but trust me if I could, I would be squeezing out alot more! I've had some minor and a major setbacs which led me and my printer to a dry for over 5 months.
I have new and numerous projects started up and I'm about to update the blog with lots of juicy pictures and what I've been up to the past year. From this I've gained some better understanding of the way of how to work with Fused Deposition Modeling and think when setting up  models for a print. I'm confident that the Corvo mask is more or less 100% print-able! I juuuuust need to sit down and do it one day.

However not everything have been smooth sailing. 3D printing with plastic using extrusion method has its drawbacks. Drawbacks which often comes due to the nature of FDM. I can honestly say only 60-70% of my prints comes out well. The rest 30% did not work for various reasons.
As mentioned, I will dedicate an entry about that a later on. In short I can say 3D printing as the current FDM technology stands, it won't be for everyone. It might sound exciting and mind blowing but not everyone will have the time or willingness to understand the amount of work which lies behind a good quality print.

Anyways, for now, I'll just like to re-introduce my blog, and keep it updated and healthy more frequently.
Thanks to those for contacting me and all my readers for showing their interest!

-W

No comments:

Post a Comment